Salesforce is an amazingly powerful software suite that helps build more meaningful and lasting relationships by connecting businesses with their customers across sales, customer service, marketing, communities, apps, analytics, and more.
Integrating with Salesforce is a great way to ensure that your contacts and text messages are available in your company's core software. In our version 1 of the integration (with updates coming), we:
- sync every message as an individual task attached to the contact
- sync your contacts between both platforms
Again this is version 1, so if you'd like to see the integration handle things a bit differently let us know. We're currently taking suggestions on how to make the next version better!
Initiating the Integration
The current version of the Textline & Salesforce integration requires that you be on a plan with API access, so by default that means your Salesforce instance must be in one of the Performance, Developer, Unlimited, or Enterprise edition plans. If you are on the Professional Edition plan, you can still gain API access, you must buy access first. You can read more on plans and API access in the Salesforce documentation here.
This integration is a bit different from most others, so make sure to pay close attention to the instructions below:
- Reach out to Textline support to get the Salesforce integration turned on for your account. This will alert us to the fact that you're starting to get integrated so that we can follow the process on our end.
- Once we've turned it on, make sure you are logged in as an administrator on both your Textline and Salesforce accounts
- From Textline, click the Settings tab > Tools & Integrations
- Click Salesforce
- Click Connect, and enter your Salesforce login information when prompted
Clicking Connect will popup the Salesforce window asking for authentication (if you didn't login in step 2, it will ask you to login in the popup).
Once connected, Textline will pull in all of the contacts from Salesforce, but to initiate the continuous data sync, alert Textline support in the message thread from step 1 above. With this alert, we will give you some code to add to your Salesforce account.
- Unzip the file given to you by Textline. It will give you a folder filled with a few RTF files containing code you will need to add to copy and paste into your Salesforce environment
- Open up Salesforce Sales and head to the Setup page
- In the Quick Find search bar to the top left, search for Apex Classes. It will be listed underneath Custom Code
- In the Apex Classes section, begin to copy and paste the code from the files each as a new Apex Class in the following order:
- Once the Apex Classes are setup, in the Quick Find search bar at the top left, search for Object Manager. Once there, you'll need to find each section listed below.
- In Contact, find the Triggers menu to the left
- In Triggers, click on New at the top right and copy/paste the code found in the TextlineContactTrigger file
- In Lead, find the Triggers menu to the left
- In Triggers, click on New at the top right and copy/paste the code found in the TextlineLeadTrigger file
- In User, find the Triggers menu to the left
- In Triggers, click on New at the top right and copy/paste the code found in the TextlineUserTrigger file
- Once all Triggers are setup, the final step is to add Textline as a trusted site. In Quick Find search for Remote Site Settings.
- In the center of the page, click New Remote Site
- Name: Textline
- URL: https://application.textline.com
- Make sure the check box for Active is ticked (it is by default)
- Click save
That's it. You should now see records start syncing!