Often, yes! It will depend on the type of number and your current carrier. Though we can't guarantee that we'll be able to use every existing number, here are a few common situations and how to get started:
Usually, an existing landline can be text-enabled. In this situation, the voice capabilities will remain as they are with your existing carrier, and our provider will simply host the SMS functionality.
Please follow the steps at the bottom of this article to begin the process of text-enabling your number. This process takes about 1-2 hours to complete.
For VoIP numbers, we can often host SMS functionality while leaving voice functionality with your current provider.
In order for us to host SMS on an existing VoIP line, you’ll need to contact your current carrier to have them relinquish control of the SMS functionality by removing the SPID from your number. When they have confirmed that the SPID has been removed, proceed with the steps below to start the text-enablement process.
Once your provider has confirmed that the SPID has been released, we have have the SMS routed through Textline in about 1-2 hours.
Depending on the number and the carrier, we can often text-enable or host SMS for toll-free numbers. If your toll-free number is a landline, please proceed with the steps at the bottom of this article. If your toll-free number is a VoIP line, you’ll need to contact your current carrier to have them relinquish control of the SMS functionality by removing the SPID from your number. When they have confirmed that the SPID has been removed, proceed with the steps below to start the text-enablement process.
Toll free numbers can take a bit longer - 2-4 weeks - to complete text-enabling or hosting. Please note that with toll-free numbers, MMS (picture messages) are not supported, so your messages would need to be text-only.
Cell phones / mobile phones
If you have a cell phone number you'd like to utilize, we will need to port the number entirely over to our provider in order to use it with Textline. Please contact us and provide a copy of your phone bill with phone number & account number visible, as well as the PIN for your account. You can text the information to (415) 849-4349, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We'll then provide you with a Letter of Authorization to fill out and return to us.
Please note that porting will mean your phone will no longer have voice functionality, as Textline does not offer voice support at the moment. Your phone's native SMS app will also no longer receive text messages, as all texts will be routed to your Textline system.
The porting process takes 2-4 weeks to complete.
To request usage of your own number for Textline, please follow these steps:
1) Sign in to your Textline account. If you do not have one yet, sign up for a free trial to proceed. If you're signing up for a free trial, select the Text Enable an Existing Number option and follow the steps provided (similar to Step 4 and beyond, below). If you already have a Textline account, proceed to step 2 upon signing in.
3) Select the Text Enable an Existing Number button.
4) Enter the phone number you'd like to use, as well as your contact information exactly as it appears on your phone bill, then click Request SMS Hosting. This will trigger a phone call to that number and will provide you with a verification code to enter.
5) Answer the call and enter the verification code provided.
6) Don’t navigate away from the screen - when the verification has registered successfully, you will see a notification.
7) We will be emailing you a Letter of Authorization to complete immediately following the successful verification. This will be sent to the email address that you have on file for Textline. Please fill out, sign, and submit the LOA. Once it’s been submitted, we’ll start the text-enablement process, which will take up to 3 hours to complete.
8) If you’re attempting this process with a VoIP number that has not had the SPID removed yet, we’ll reach out to let you know. For the easiest process, have your provider remove the SPID before beginning the, as we aren't able to process a number until the SPID has been released by your current provider.
You can keep using Textline normally, with your current Textline number (we'll give you a temporary one to play with if you're signing up for the first time), while the hosting is being completed. All account information that has accrued during your time on Textline until that point (Conversations, contacts, Agents, metrics, etc.) will remain.